Sunday, April 18, 2010

Pound for Pound, part 2

OK, to finish my top ten pound for pound list, we pick up at number two. Now some people may disagree with me but...

2. Anderson Silva - Face it, this guy is damn near unstoppable at this juncture in his career. Forget the bizarre and lackluster performances against Maia, Leites, and Cote, lets not forget what made Anderson the champion in the first place. He destroyed Nate Marquardt, Dan Henderson, and Rich Franklin (TWICE!). Then he moves up to light-heavyweight and decimates James Irvin, and straight up embarrassed former light-heavyweight champion Forrest Griffin. This guy has the skill set to dominate both middleweight and light-heavyweight. The list of opponents he has defeated in his unheard of run of 11-0 in the UFC is the most impressive of any fighter during that span, in any weight class. Period. But, because of the disrespectful performances against Leites, Cote, and Maia, I can't put him at number one. That slot is reserved for a true lion...

1. Jose Aldo - Let me explain. Sure he's young, and sure, he hasn't even defended his title yet, but this kid is going to be a force to be reckoned with. Guaranteed. Aldo's first WEC fight was against veteran featherweight Alexandre Nogueira, a regarded veteran in the division. This was young in my MMA following, so the only thing I knew was that Nogueira was a favorite amongst the "hardcore" fans and Aldo was a promising prospect. So, when I saw Aldo had steamrolled through him, I thought it was more a Nogueira hiccup rather than Aldo being good. Boy, was I wrong. This kid is a human highlight reel. His speed, technique, and power in that division are unparalleled. Look at his 8 second double-flying knee KO of Cub Swanson or his domination of former WEC Featherweight Champion Mike Brown as evidence. If he beats Urijah Faber in impressive fashion at this weekend's WEC Pay-Per-View, he can retire today as the best featherweight of all time in my opinion. As Dana White said on the countdown special: "This guy could win the 135 lb. belt, he already has the belt at 145, and he could even go up to 155 and challenge BJ Penn." I agree with that, as well as this simple statement from Joe Rogan: "Jose Aldo is a destroyer." This guy comes in, and puts on an exciting fight ever single time. Oh yeah, he's finished all of his WEC opponents by KO or TKO, never going to a decision once. Not to mention we haven't even seen his black belt BJJ skills. Wait, did I forget to mention he's only 23? 23! This kid is the definition of a phenom, and I really think he could be the first fighter to hold a belt in three different weight classes. That is why, for right now at least, that Jose Aldo is my #1 pound for pound fighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment