Monday, April 19, 2010

The girlfriend's guide to MMA




In my 5+ years of following the sport of MMA like my religion, I can honestly say I have never seen a live event. That all ends when I get my chance to see Bellator 15 at the Mohegan Sun Arena this coming Thursday. There was one problem though, I wanted someone to go with and share the experience with me. Most of my friends from college aren't interested enough in the sport to see a promotion like Bellator, and my friends from home just don't have the money. So I asked the last person on my list to go; I knew it was a longshot, but I was on my last legs. I decided to ask my girlfriend to go with me. I expected an instant "No," but I was shocked when I heard her say "Yeah, that'd be interesting." Still, she has very little knowledge of MMA. I know a lot of guys are in the same predicament as me, so I decided to dedicate this post with (hopefully) helpful tips to get your girl to at least understand the sport we all know and love.

5. Reality TV - Jersey Shore makes me sick sometimes, but let's face it, girls love drama. What better drama comes from reality TV? Let's not forget that MMA has it's own drama-filled, action-packed reality show: The Ultimate Fighter. Filled with crazy moments like Chris Leben peeing in Jason Thacker's bed, drunken brawls, and the quest for glory is enough to keep drama junkies watching, let alone MMA fans. Let's also not forget that past UFC champions like Matt Serra and Forrest Griffin have come from the show. It's a good starting place.

4. "I want the Canadian guy to win. He's hot." - I used to hate phrases like that when they initially made their way from some girls mouth to my ears. I'll be at the bar with my friends when some liquored-up bimbo will shout about how sexy she thinks GSP is and all the naughty things she was going to do to him. It was kind of annoying at first - it still is in fact - but now I'm looking at it in a different light. Some of these fighters are good looking guys, and if you can't sell her on the competition and spirit of the fights, at least she'll still have a reason to watch.

(Stay tuned for the next installment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment