Monday, February 1, 2010

Go Go Power Rangers




Jason David Frank. You remember the name, right? No? Well remember that show Power Rangers from the mid-90s? That's right, a power ranger has stepped into the sport of MMA. Honestly, I couldn't have been more excited for this fight. I credit the Power Rangers show for my involvement in martial arts, and therefore also my interest in MMA. When I first heard Frank was signed to fight, I nearly peed myself. Not only was I a fan of the show, but the Green Ranger was always my favorite. What many do not know is that Frank not only has created his own martial arts form, Toso Kune Do, he has also been dabbling in Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. He even created the popular line of fighter gear Jesus Didn't Tap. Needless to say, I was excited.

Anyway, onto the fight itself. Frank's opponent was Jonathon Mack, a relative unknown, under the Lone Star Beatdown promotion in Texas. The fight started out nothing like I expected. After seeing one his Muay Thai fights on Youtube, I thought Frank to be the better standup fighter. Aside from a few leg kicks though, it was Mack who was dominating the stand up, rocking Frank twice with big punches. However, once Mack attempted a takedown, it was Frank who took charge. As soon as Frank hit the mat, he locked Mack in an omaplata, getting the tapout at just 1:28 in the first round. The fight, although it was short, showed a lot about Frank. He was able to take big shots, recover, and show that he does have a ground game. Even though Mack was a nobody, an omaplata is one of the hardest submissions to pull off. I hope Frank continues with his MMA career. He's got a great attitude about the sport, and seems to have the tools to back it up. He's older though, so at age 36 it may be harder to improve and get better. Either way, after his showing Saturday night, he'll always have one fan watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment